Friday, June 10, 2011

Aunt Bee Bakes Banana Bread

I like to make things. These 'things' could be anything from, as I've stated in past posts, jewelry and flowers, to herbal shampoo (specifically designed for blondes) and face scrubs (cloves and tumeric? What?) DIY halter tops and bags, and, oh, do you know how wonderful embroidery is for a quick project? You don't? Please, if you're so inclined, head over here http://www.sublimestitching.com/howto.html (if you're a newbie, like I am) and immerse yourself in the slowly dying art that is embroidery. You can make darling little things for the darling people in your life... customized embroidered handkerchiefs? I'm all over that. I believe that those handy washable tissues should come back into vogue. I digress. The point is, I make things. And when I was little, like, 9 years ago, I started cooking beyond the occasional scrambled egg which is what I am trying to get at: I bake, bake and bake. In fact, culinary school is a bright point in my future (I'm that girl who has her own space for HER cookbooks in her mother's kitchen). The other night I came across this banana bread recipe which has only a slight difference in ingredients from other b-breads, but differs extremely in taste. Now, some banana breads can be insanely sweet. Which is a rather tasty thing when you spread salty butter on top. But have you ever taken note of how much sugar actually goes into these breads to bring out that insanely sweet flavor? Holy moly, an amount I have never thought much of until I made a different sort of banana bread. Instead of pouring, pouring, and pouring more sugar into the dry ingredients, I added a combination of honey and agave nectar.  It tasted less sugary and more salty, so hey, you could even forgo the butter (I did) and I think the banana-y taste was louder without all the sugar. However, I'm still on the fence about it. It's something to get used to as all my tastes buds know is sugary goodness. But I get enough of my sugar fill elsewhere (i.e chocolate and...other things), so I thought, "Why not?".  Also, if you have kiddies at home with you, I'm thinking they might be open to trying some. My niece? Pretty much ate the entire loaf.

 1/4 cup butter
1/3 agave nectar
1/3 honey
3 eggs, beaten
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1 cup of nuts (walnuts! almonds! Perhaps half of each?)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
Add the dry ingredients together in one bowl, the wet ingredients in another. Add the dry to wet and stir. Pour into a greased pan.  This recipe made two small pans. Bake for about an hour or whenever a toothpick poked in the middle comes out clean. You know the drill.

No comments:

Post a Comment